How To Ensure Your Horse Peaks For An Important Competition
We asked 11 riders at the Longines FEI World Cup Jumping in Del Mar, California,
“How do you ensure your horse peaks for an important competition like this?”
Alphabetical list of riders interviewed: Karl Cook, Jennifer Gates, Christian Heineking, Andrew Kocher, Hanna Mauritzson, Jenni McAllister, Eric Navet, Shota Ogomori, Mandy Porter, Chris Pratt, Nicole Shahinian-Simpson.
Some of their answers:
- It’s very horse dependent.
- Know your horse. Listen to your horse. Be a horseman and make the adjustments necessary, leading up to the big event.
- Have your horse as fit, sound, relaxed and happy as possible.
- Plan ahead for the big event. Be selective on which classes to show in prior.
- Most riders do not jump their horse very much, other than in competition.
- Flat work and gymnastics are key.